Monday, July 05, 2004

Portugal Otto have won for Charisteas' sake!!!

Everything is normal in the world again. Roger Federer retained Wimbledon, Micheal Shumacher won again, Greece are European Champions of Football and the great Maria Sharapova won Wimbledon Womens Singles. Wait a minute... wait a doggone minute... GREECE!!!



"One cup, one team, eleven players... all named after diseases..."

How many things in life truly truly surprise you? I mean really knock the stuffing out of you when you hear about them? I dont mean the things that make you go: "Oh!!! Thats a surprise..." No I mean the ones that make you go: "Whadayya mean they have no WMDs???"

If there are those among you who dont make too much of Greece winning Euro 2004, sit up and read this. In world football this is as big a surprise as say a plate of kancheepuram idlis winning the Oscar for Best Soundtrack. Greece did pretty well for a country that exists only in documentaries didnt it? I mean thay came up with a flag and an anthem and even hired fans to cheer for them. I am so happy for them. And what a wonderful display by Peritonitis and Gastroenteritis, world class players...

Maria Sharapova. Finally a russian tennis player who looks smashing and can win stuff too. That Anna Kournikova was a farce I say. But what a farce. Even when she was being beaten by a one-eyed Papua New Guinean with an ATP rank of a shade below the velocity of light, she exuded so much grace, poise and smackable booty.

One of the juniors asked me a doubt in Finance today. With a straight face. Those who are aquainted with my academic prowess will know that I am a supremely mathematically challenged person. While I could do the basic stuff decently well, the moment they start using those squiggly symbols or start writing smaller numbers on top of regular sized ones AND use brackets I am as lost as a Hustler issue in the Vatican.

When I came to IIMA I thought I was done with Math. Boy was I wrong. They have tons of math, and accounting and finance and all sorts of stuff. They have squiggly things in Operations, and brackets in Economics. I got over these things by the Kate Mossest of margins. But there was one thing I could never ever understand. Say those three words in front of me and I would be struck dumb. "Provision for taxation". Ugh... I lose my breath and I break into a cold sweat just typing them down.

And coming from an engineering college I was zapped by the absurdity of it all... for example the doubts you cleared...

Engineering Student: So what blah blah Frankel defect blah blah electron cloud blah blah diffraction blah blah rutile ore blah blah...

Professor: Electrostatic Dissipation... blah blah... monochromatic blah blah... intertemporal blah blah...

Sounds cool yeah. All geeky and all... But what does B School do to you?

Student: Sir, so the asset allocation blah blah provision for taxation blah blah year end accounts blah blah...

Accounting Professor: On the left side

Drives me up the wall really. If there are people who have never ever had to deal with accounting or finance before, praise the lord. And if your an MBA student like I am, hold on, after night comes day and HR and Strategy and all is well again.

And expect daily updates from today. I am back to a normal schedule and have much time on my hands. Jupe your prayers will be answered.

By the way since I did start off all gung-ho about England winning Euro 2004, a word is in order. They played well, did the english. They were unlucky and deserve a pat on their back. With a speeding truck.

They should have learnt a lesson or two from the greeks, especially that defender Takealoadofdis.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mihalis Kapsis, Nikopolidis, Giogos Karagounis, Angelos Charisteas .The least they cud do was win the euro cup. just say it loud. nikopolidis.very theatrical. i bet he was named to climb mountains fight battles win fair maidens and die tragically.And iam sure the opposition was intimidated too. and of course the dressing room strategy wud be quite tedious having to memorize names. wud be quite challenging for an average footballer, of course sand rakers wudn’t have problems at all.
good to have u back.
iw

Anonymous said...

oh come on, stop grudging! when the rest decided to commit sucide cummulatively , what options did the greek have but to rise up to the cup. given the choice of the finals, they definitely were the better. they beat the hosts twice!!
stopsulkolis

Anonymous said...

oh come on, stop grudging! when the rest decided to commit sucide cummulatively , what options did the greek have but to rise up to the cup. given the choice of the finals, they definitely were the better. they beat the hosts twice!!
stopsulkolis

Anonymous said...

lol.
101/100.
`Daily updates`...mouth watering.
-Smitha

Jupe said...

Hey, didja notice i almost got it right with my Euro2004 predictions.. I said Latvia, it was Greece - wots the friggin' difference - I dont know where both of them are in the map neways :-p Can i rub it in abt England in Euro2004. Here's wot my favorite columnist had to say

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/funny_old_game/robbo/default.stm

Anonymous said...

Kate Mossest of them all. Heh heh! That might start a new trend! Hehehe!

Anonymous said...

Hey sidin,
Domainus "Maximus", eh? thought you would forget the name...this is vijayasimha...I am at GE right now...will write to you some time...
love,
the real "maximus"

Anonymous said...

Dear Sidin

some of your stuff's worth reading. and some definitely not. Frankly you're not ready for a book. Hope you take criticism well. If so I could review your stuff. I'm not good, but you could be.

A sincere critic

Anonymous said...

greece had to win, dood,
greece had to win.

Aqua said...

hahahaha...i can totally empathize with the mathematically challenged bit. but y're a geek from an engineering college...only art students or "poets" are allowed to crib about maths and OR and other similar subjects.

Anonymous said...

Oh, please this guy is from India, Like he knows anything about football. Leave the sport alone. Greece dominated the european cup, and has the most famous history in the world. They are the beginning of western civilization. So dont critisize greeks. Go worship allah then blow urself up, ya worthless terrorist. Greece only exists in documentaries? Last news I heard of the middle east was....eh....NOTHING. In history youve been USED and CONQUERED thats all your good for.........bye : D

Anonymous said...

I am a new reader of your blogs. Been introduced to it since the last month probably, but been through everyone of them. It is a riot! each and every one of them. We are similar, gulf upbringing loves football, but I guess it stops there.
Liked your comment...
"One cup, one team, eleven players... all named after diseases..." fabulous.
But one thing about the English, I loathe them ...
they could be hit by a freight train loaded with manure head on and could still be found asking for the heavenly smelling girl who went past, in the hospital...that's how clueless they are...a shame to football!!
The rest are fine...take care